The quality of the spruce on these islands was recognized in 1917 by the British Government for the
aeroplane industry. The knot free, fine grain timber was light weight and perfect for their needs.
The industry was short lived as the end of the First World War brought the decline in the market and
these mills did not survive.
The mill at Sewall was built in 1912 to supply lumber for building the town-site, this mill was sold and moved to Port Clements in 1914. Another mill was established by Vancouver Trading Company and this mill was credited for producing the highest quality spruce in North America.
Built by the Masset Timber Company and production in mid
1918 cutting 100,000 to 150,000 feet per day. The first radial
saw in Canada was used here. The mill ending in 1925.
The Barton Mill was located where the museum is today. Early in 1917
lumber from this mill planked the main street from the mill to the government
wharf. With various owners this was one of the longest running mills
in the area ending operation in the early 1930s.
The Lynch Mill was built in 1917 by Mr. W.P. Lynch.
Remains of the foundation can still be seen today.